Saturday, January 7, 2012

Larry Crowne, More love for rom coms, Don't listen to critics. See for youself.

Larry Crowne, USA 2011

I know what you're thinking. You think I must be really lonely and sad because I am writing about two romantic comedies in a row. Well maybe I am, but I like these movies and when I get into this mood rom coms are all I want to watch. At this rate I will be fully into the 6 hour version of Pride and Prejudice within the week.

Larry Crowne is a cute little film about a guy who gets laid off from his job in retail and decides to go back to school at a local junior college when he can't find a new job. Tom Hanks plays the title character. He also directed and co wrote the film. Julia Roberts plays Larry's teacher, and after breaking up with her husband, played by Bryan Cranston and very funny, she finds herself falling for her student, Larry, after initially having a bad opinion of him. Not exactly an original idea for a film in this genre. The love story in this movie was predictable, but I really enjoyed the ancillary
characters and sub plot lines. And if there is one thing I like more than a romantic comedy, its a Tom Hanks romantic comedy. You've Got Mail and Joe Versus the Volcano are two of my favorites. I can't speak to the merits of Sleepless In Seattle because I've never seen it. Maybe I will watch it later this year, but I doubt it.

Larry Crowne got a very poor critical reception. 5.9 out of 10 stars on IMDB and only 34% positive reviews on RT. I think the film was flawed and I have my criticisms. I wish there had been a little more development of the relationship between Hanks and Roberts as it seemed to rush together out of nothing towards the end. But remember, film critics, for the most part, are morons. They either don't know what they're talking about or they sensationalize their reviews so that someone will print them. Until everyone shares the same opinion no one is qualified to review movies, or anything else, for the masses. You might like it and you might not, but you won't know until you see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment