Sunday, January 1, 2012

Why I want to do this.

I've decided to do something fun as my New Year's resolution this year. My goal is to watch at least 366 movies. That's one movie every day for an entire year. (2012 is a leap year so its 366 days instead of 365) I think I'm going to document my daily viewings in this blog as a way to keep myself motivated and track my progress. Now that access to movies is so easy, what with netflix, hulu, itunes, and so on, I shouldn't have trouble finding something to watch everyday. I will try to see something new in the theaters at least once a week. Part of the reason I want to do this is because my weekly habit of going to the movies has been largely ignored for several months, and I would like to get back in the habit of doing that again. I will try to watch mostly films that I've never seen before. God knows there are enough of them. Maybe I will finally watch all the Rambo and Rocky Movies. (My brothers still give me crap about not having seen those, but having seen Pride and Prejudice at least a dozen times) I'm sure that I will revisit some of my favorite movies too. I can't go more than a few weeks without watching Zoolander or Blazing Saddles, and its been far to long since I watched all of the Crosby and Hope “Road to” pictures back to back. Don't expect me to write about a lot of horror films. When it comes to scary movies I am a big baby. I still get the shakes and suck my thumb when the Wicked Witch shows up during the Munchkin Village scene in The Wizard of Oz. I am sorry to disappoint fans of the horror genre, but I don't have anything constructive to say about those films.

I don't want this to become a list of my film reviews. I haven't the knowledge or the ego to think that I am or could be a film critic. So I wont be writing reviews of the movies I see. My reviews wouldn't be of much use to anyone anyway because I like bad movies just as much as good ones and I think that Jerry Lewis is a genius. My plan is to find something interesting about each film, and write about why I find it so. Hopefully these exercises will help me enjoy watching movies again. This should be an opportunity to learn about myself and why I like and dislike certain films. And who knows? Maybe I will find a few new favorite films. I am too old to still have “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang” and “Annie”
at the top of my favorites list.

I am going to the movies tonight. So my first blog post should be up late tonight or early tomorrow morning.

...And for anyone who has decided to read this blog, I apologize for my poor writing ability and lack of style.

No comments:

Post a Comment