Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Emperor's Club

The Emperor's Club, USA 2002




Kevin Kline as Mr. Hundert

I always get this movie confused with Dead Poet's Society. Both are set in boarding schools and have professors that use alternative methods to inspire their students. And even though Dead Poet's is probably the better film, I still prefer this one. Mostly because I have a serious Man-crush on Kevin Kline. He is one of my favorite actors. I think the first time I saw him in a movie was the film version of The Pirates of Penzance. I love musicals and that one in particular is a favorite. He has a very good singing voice that must have served him well in the theater as a young actor. I like his performance in The Emperor's Club because his role is so different from the comedic parts I usually remember him for. I know that he is a dramatic actor as well as comedic and has been in many dramatic films. But for some reason the only ones that stick out in my mind are the comedies. A Fish Called Wanda continues to be hilarious even after having seen it a dozen times. And everyone should see him in A Prairie Home Companion playing Guy Noir, one of Garrison Keillor's most well known characters. I am sure that PHC will be one of the movies I write about later this year. 

He is a Pirate King, Pirates of Penzance, 1983
As Guy Noir in A Prairie Home Companion, 2006
 

No comments:

Post a Comment